My name is Alicia Wells, and I have taught English 11, Honors English 11, and English 9  at Paw Paw High School since 2014.  I also made a quick stop in 7th grade at the middle school for a semester. I am currently pursuing my M.Ed. in Literacy Studies at Grand Valley State University, and like to use that as an excuse for participating in the Third Coast Writing Project for my third year. However, that would sell my experience over the past two summers short.

I was apprehensive to join TCWP in 2015, and am still finding my confidence as a writer. However, since I ask my students to do things that make them uncomfortable, it’s only fair that I experience the same challenges. My comfort and passion for English lies in literature and analytical writing, but listening to my students express how they crave a creative outlet, and reading their endless academic papers, I realized I needed to diversify my writing curriculum. I have since created a weekly writer’s workshop dedicated to just that. I have seen naturally creative writers excel, apprehensive writers grow, and I have gotten to know my students on a much more personal level. Due to my time with Third Coast, I have seen myself not only grow as a writer, but as an educator as well, and I am looking forward to further improving that craft.

Outside of school and PD, I love to try new restaurants and cocktails with my husband. We spent 5 years living in Grand Rapids, and worked hard to exhaust those dining options. Since moving to the Kalamazoo area, we have been lucky enough to experience a whole new city. When we’re not out enjoying food and libations, we’re at home with our neurotic mutt, Ned, and his cat, Arya. I also have a passion for coffee, and am always looking for a new book to enjoy with it, unless I get distracted by a show I can binge watch on Netflix.

Comments

  1. Saugatuck- coffee beer libations- and writing!!! Make sure Will is good to go as well!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

First Post?

Hi